Computer, laptop, TV, smartphone and many other gadgets inhabit houses in the 21st century. Each of them has its own settings and functions. IT companies thought about the possibility of a simple connection of all these smart gadgets into a single system. The information market was released UPNP service.
UPNP - Abbreviation Universal Plug and Play. In fact, this is a set of protocols with which programs and other IT devices are connected. For example, a laptop is attached to the camcorder and it becomes possible to observe the apartment remotely, or see photos and video files from the phone on the big TV screen.
Of course, it is possible to do without the Universal Plug and Play media service, but for the connection you have to configure each device separately manually. UPNP comes to help. We'll figure it out how this service functions and how to configure it.
Principle of operation UPNP.
The principle of operation Universal Plug and Play - opening and closing ports to connect different programs and applications installed on IT devices. In order not to engage in the configuration of each device separately, UPNP automated this process.
We will understand in the forwarding of ports. All smart devices, in one place are connected to a single local network. All of them work through the router, which is already connected to the global Internet. Thus, a wifi router is between the home and global network.
Universal Plug and Play need all the phones, computers, televisions and other gadgets to work fine, opened their "ports" as automatic doors without help.
UPNP has zero configuration. That is, each object located on the local network via the router should not be configured separately. Using the smart service Universal Plug and Play, this communication process is automated, and all objects on the network without additional settings are manually defined in the shared network, find and connected to other computer gadgets.
Personal computers in their basic settings already have the feature of Universal Plug and Play. It is, at the expense of it, when connecting any flash drive, the PC automatically recognizes and allows you to read this USB device.
Universal Plug and Play combined multiple network protocols together. Due to this, different intelligent devices are connected to each other automatically, which avoids the installation of drivers for each device separately and disappears the need to correct network configurations.
For automatic recognition of all devices, you must activate the UPNP protocol on all network gadgets united in the system.
Starting UPNP in the router
UPnP is installed by default in almost all modern Wifi routers. To activate the automatic connection of devices, you must enable UPNP in the settings. To enter the menu, you need to go to the router website at the web interface address. The address is registered on the bottom of the router hull and looks like this: 192.168.0 or 1.1. Consider the UPNP activation algorithm for different router models:
UPNP in ASUS.
- In the Left menu, select the "Parameters" tab
- Press the "Advanced Settings" key
- Choose "Internet"
- On the right side of the menu opposite "UPNP FAQ" agree
UPNP in "D-Link"
- In the top menu, go to the "Advanced" section
- On the left in the Advanced Settings menu Select "Advanced Network"
- Click on the window next to "Enable UPNP"
UPNP in Tr-Link
- Left in the menu to go to the "Forwarding" section ("Forwarding")
- Fall in the UPNP subsection
- Select in the Status field Position is enabled ("Enabled")
UPNP in ZyXEL
- In the Select "General Settings" menu
- Go to the "Edit Component Set" tab
- In the UPNP service section click on the Install button
Activation of the UPNP protocol on the router starts the automatic port redirection mode.
UPNP on computer
Activation of the service on the computer
The second step of activating the UPNP protocol is to change the configuration on the PC. For all Windows operating systems, the actions algorithm is similar.
PC sequence to enable UPNP protocol:
- "CONTROL PANEL"
- "Network and Internet"
- "Network and Common Access Control Center"
- "Change additional shared options"
- Click the "Enable Network Detection" window
After the manipulations done, you need to save the changes and restart the computer.
Software Settings on PCs for UPNP
For programs on the computer also automatically connected to the network devices via UPNP, you must configure them correctly. Consider the setup algorithm for Torrent and Skype programs.
- Right-click on the Select "Settings" menu
- Tab "Programs"
- On the left to select "Connection"
- On the right side of the window to configure the port as follows:
- Port of incoming connections: "64400"
- Click in the windows next to: "UPNP redirection", "NAT-PMP redirection" and "in the exception of firewall"
- Type of server protocol in the Select pop-up menu: "(No)".
- Press the window below the OK button and "Apply"
The Torrent program will contact the network devices via UPNP automatically.
Check that the Torrent program works with UPNP, you can pass on tabs: "Properties" - "Internet Gateway" - "Status" - "Properties" - "Parameters".
Skype introduced its own UPNP protocol in its program. In the latest versions of this communication service, open access network objects to the Skype program is laid in the default program. In earlier versions, you can connect the UPnp by putting the appropriate tick in the context menu "Settings".
UPNP settings for other computer programs are similar. Detailed instructions are presented on the official sites of developers of the relevant programs.
Why Universal Plug and Play is unsafe
Computer technologies are designed to facilitate the work of various modern gadgets. But when using them, there are risks:
Initially, it was planned to use this smart service for communicating home computer gadgets only at the local level within one network. This system has taken place so much in the IT world, but many modified routers now include UPNP in the default firmware, thereby giving access to the router itself and all the Internet devices connected to it. This can use computer intruders (access to someone else's PCs, use the connected devices to send spam and viruses).
- Programming errors Devices .
Not all electronic gadgets are kept behind software updates. UPNP is improved by the developers every year, but fraudsters find vulnerable places in the programs of the connected devices and thereby bring up the UPNP protection and connect to the user's personal devices from its local network.
To protect your own devices and your personal data there are two ways to protect:
1. Connect the UPNP service of the latest versions that supports the authentication and authorization feature for devices and applications connected by UPNP.
2. Disable Universal Plug and Play completely.
The UPNP service system is updated every year. Today, these communication protocols between devices are used not only within local home networks, but also in large corporate companies running the state of sysadmin. Modern service Universal Plug and Play is a set of unified protocols that are suitable for most of the modern devices.
What is UPNP.
The initial destination of the Plug and Play technology was automatically detected by new Windows operating system devices. Plug and Play - was a kind of Microsoft mark, so often mentioned this technology advertising company. Today Plug and Play is experiencing its second birth and has a very different character.
Today we are talking about automatic detection of any intelligent devices connected to networks, as a rule, built on the basis of Wi-Fi routers. The new technology was named UPNP and is promoted by a non-profit association called "Universal Plug and Play Forum". What is UPNP still know not all, and we set yourself to tell our readers about this interesting concept.
UPNP is a universal high-level information exchange protocol between the device and the network, which is an add-in over the lower level protocols, such as TCP / IP. The protocol significantly uses the XML data format, therefore it is quite universal and widely distributed in the medium of manufacturers of communication devices of the router type.
Prerequisites for the emergence
One of the prerequisites for the widespread UPNP technology was the need to support the mechanism for broadcasting network addresses under NAT. NAT is a pretty simple thing. What it is, you can understand from the following example: If you have a home network with ten devices connected to it, then with the help of NAT, you can all set one IP address.
Organization of even the simplest FTP server to access the network file resources from the outside will require reassigning ports (so-called portportording - what it is, look at the network) on the router. UPNP will save you from this headache. To connect to a network of toys and peering clients, you will not need to edit the router settings - Portorvarding will be made without manual intervention. Of course, such perspectives are open only before the owners of the routers with UPNP support. Yes, and so such support is not enough - you need to turn on the UPNP on your device. About how this is done, we will tell below.
Setting up protocol
To enable UPNP support on your router, you must use it with a web interface available for most such devices to the address: http://192.168.0.1. You will need to enter the password and after it is done, you will be able to edit any device settings. Include Universal Plug and Play on the D-Link router as shown in the picture:
Using the "Home Media Server" program
Another thing is to use a more serious Home Media Server application (Russian development). Here, however, in the settings you will have to dig.
Although automatic determination and enabled, in some cases you have to add devices manually. For example, the program clearly defines the desired computer terminal, which is installed, as well as the router responsible for the connection. If you need to transfer the signal, say, on the television console IPTV, with subsequent broadcast to the television panel, the IP or MAC address of the device will have to be administered to yourself.
Next - the issue of transcoding. In most cases, the "Movies (main)" mode is selected, but if a special ACE Stream utility is installed in the system (one of the ACE Player components), it is better to use it.
With common folders, everything is simple here, but on the issue of television broadcasting will again have strain brains. For example, to view torrent-television, you will need to register on a certain resource, after which you download so-called podcasts from it, which must be added to the list and then update. Only after that you can watch television programs.
Along the way, it is worth noting that both on the television console will have to manually enable the UPNP server. Most often, the LAN mode is used for its activation. Maybe another, it all depends only on the modification of the console itself.
In general, the settings in the program are a lot. Basic can be dealt without problems. But if you need to use any additional parameters, you will have to spend a certain time. But then the user is at its disposal a powerful tool for synchronization of any type of devices. Along the way, we note that for mobile devices, you may need to install special applications and UPNP activation. Without it, any synchronization and speech can not be.
Yes, and pay attention to what. Unlike the previous utility, the enable server is performed only in manual mode using a special start button or, if required, restarting
What is upnp and why it is needed on Rostelecom Routelecom
UPNP is an abbreviation from the phrase Universal Plug and Play. This feature is a service that allows you to automatically recognize and install devices located on the local network.
With it, it creates a reception and data transmission system for the equipment that supports UPNP technology. Thanks to the UPNP connection, Internet users from Rostelecom can carry out wireless network configuration.
Before you connect UPNP, you need to go through the parameter setting procedure in the operating system of your PC. The instruction has the following form:
- Click on the "My Computer" label with the right mouse button and go to the "Control Panel - Homepage" tab, located in the left column (you can also find the control panel using a Windows search or any way convenient for you);
- Go to the "Programs" section and select the "Delete Programs" item;
- Click on "Enable or disable Windows Components";
- We put a tick opposite the string with the inscription - "Network Services", located in the "Components" subsection and click on the menu item called "Composition";
- Sliding the ticks opposite the items responsible for managing devices, network gateways, Internet connections and for user UPNP custom settings;
- Click "OK" and confirm the change in the parameters using the "Next" button.
The UPNP enabling allows you to work on a network with torrents at high speed, and also allows you to automatically match the ports manually. It is not necessary to conduct a similar operation for the latest Windows users, since these parameters are initially activated.
Activation on the router
If you plan to configure an Internet network connection from Rostelecom using a wireless connection using a router, you need to find out how to enable UPNP technology on it. Instructions for activation looks like this:
- We enter the web browser;
- Enter the IP address (usually 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.10.1);
- We enter the login and password values;
- Find an item under the name "Enable UPNP" and select the operation mode.
Do not forget to restart the devices in order to change the changes. After setting up, new programs will be installed automatically and the router will independently issue the address data and port.
In modern models of routers, the UPNP function is already activated, so it will not be necessary to carry out the procedure described.
The purpose of UPNP is to simplify the process of combining devices on the local network. Also, this service helps to work correctly most of the modern programs. An example of such applications are ICQ, Skype and UTorrent. Technology allows users to independently set up a home media server.
Manual port of ports, or UPNP?
In this article I wanted to write only about UPNP. About how to enable this feature on the router and in DC ++ and UTorrent programs (I will try to write in a separate article about the manual setting). But first, first figure it out that it is better to upnp, or still it is worth setting up manually.
- UPNP is simple, you do not need to prescribe something there, for a long time to configure, etc. If you are afraid to do something in the router settings, then UPNP is what you need. Of the minuses: may not work in some programs, servers, games. Well, the security, UPNP can transfer what to move as if necessary (but this is a controversial opinion and it should not scare you).
- Manual adjustment of port redirection requires more serious settings. And this method is a bit inconvenient because when new programs appear, or some changes in existing, you will have to constantly set up redirection. This is not very convenient.
Turn on UPNP in the router settings
Usually, by default, the UPNP service is already enabled in the router settings (in TP-Link, exactly). Yes, and UTorrent type programs even through the router work without additional settings. But with DC ++, as far as I noticed, I have frequent problems.
Let us first check whether the UPNP function is active in your router.
Go to the router settings. This is usually the address http://192.168.1.1, or http://192.168.0.1.
Click the tab Forwarding – Upnp. (Redirection - UPNP). Must be the status Enabled. (Included).
Maybe differently, but usually this tab the Internet – Connection And there is a UPNP switch.
This feature may be called a little different. Tab WAN. – Port Trigger. . Paragraph Enable Port Trigger. must be included.
Go up to the tab Advanced then choose on the left ADVANCED NETWORK. and look if a check mark is near Enable Upnp. .
The menu items can be slightly different, depending on the version of the device, firmware, etc. If you can't find, you will write in the comment, we'll figure it out :).
Check the DC ++ and UTorrent settings
I will show how to check whether the UPNP function is enabled in these programs.
In DC ++ go to the settings to the tab Connection settings and see if it is an item Farrier with UPNP (WinXP + only) .
In utorrent go to point Settings – Programs settings . Tab Compound . We look at a check mark near Upnp redirection .
I hope I managed to clearly clarify the situation with the port of ports. At first glance, this topic seems incomprehensible and difficult. But the UPNP function is designed to simplify this process a little and facilitate our lives.
Although, as I wrote, sometimes without manual adjustment, you cannot do.
Customize ports (UPNP) on the router for DC ++, UTorrent and similar programs Updated: October 15, 2013 by the author: admin
Probably, many users of computers, laptops and mobile gadgets would like to see your favorite movies, photos, TV shows, let's say on the big screen of the television panel or, on the contrary, synchronize the Internet broadcast of the same TV, radio with a mobile device, and listen to music on a good speaker system. To do this, we will need the so-called UPNP media server. What it is and how to configure it, we now consider. There is nothing complicated.
A bit of theory
Connecting one or more PCs to the Internet via DSL, preferably use NAT technology (network address transformation). NAT allows multiple private network PC to use a common IP address that provides a network. NAT additionally protects the private network, although this is not a network screen (Firewall).
The DSL access user must understand that NAT is present only in the modem with the possibility of a router, that is, two or more PCs can be connected to the modem at the same time. In this case, all the settings for connecting to the Internet (password, login) are written in the modem itself. In the case of using a modem without a router function, the NAT function is missing.
In order for the incoming connection to be unhindered to the internal services, the appropriate port comparison is needed. If the mapping does not match or not fulfilled, the connection with the program (service) will be unavailable from the Internet. Often, in a similar case, it is resorted to manual adjustment by port comparison.
Match the ports manually quite a time-consuming occupation. This is quite difficult, it takes some experience and knowledge. Most users are not able to cope with such a task without any help of a specialist. They do not assume that they become "victims" NAT. With any attempt to use the application that accepts an external call, the user cannot accomplish the task.
To solve this problem, the NAT Traversal technological process was developed.
It allows the network application to determine that it is beyond the NAT device, identifies the external IP address, adjusts port mapping. All this is performed in automatic mode. The NAT Traversal functional process relies on the control and detection protocols that are an integral part of Universal Plug and Play. UPNP eliminates the user from manual configuration of NAT mapping tables, you do not need to additionally install settings in the router. You just need to activate UPNP capabilities.
A large number of routers and cable modems, which are produced today, have built-in UPNP support.
When choosing a similar device, you need to pay attention to the presence of the UPNP function. This support may continue to reduce your headache in the event of a problem with manual adjustment of the router.
The correct UPNP application should be done both as an application and a modem or router. Not all applications have the support of this technological process. In some modems, UPNP is disabled, it must be turned on manually.
If you have such applications, you must need to activate support, both in the system itself and in the modem.
Enable UPNP support in Windows, you can perform such actions:
- Press the Start menu, select the control panel.
- In the control panel, click on the label setting the removal of programs and installing Windows components.
- In the component item to select Network Services. Put a tick on the contrary and press the composition.
- In the Network Services dialog box, you should check the client of the detection and control of the Internet gateway devices. You also need to mark the UPNP user interface.
- Click OK and then.
You may need a Windows installation disk.
This installation process is suitable for most Windows XP systems. The tincture in the router is performed according to its technical documentation.
Hey! It often happens that after installing the router, programs such as UTorrent, DC ++ and similar clients for P2P networks refuse to work. This happens for the reason that the program cannot get a file to a computer that is located on the local network (for the router). But the problem may occur not only with P2P network clients, but also with online games, WEB settings, or FTP servers, etc.
In order to work, it is necessary to make port redirects. If you do it manually, then the process itself is a bit complicated and incomprehensible. It is necessary to assign a static IP to each computer, then clutter the redirected ports in the router settings.
There is such a useful feature like Upnp.
. This is such an automatic port of ports. In most cases, it is enough to enable UPNP in the router settings (if it is not yet included) and everything will work perfectly. But sometimes, without manual transfer of ports can not do. Each method has its pros and cons.
At this stage, we proceed directly to the software that allows you to create, use and manage the homemade media server. Today such packages can be found quite a lot. But they can have completely different features.
For example, if you install a server based on the Samsung All Share application, you can select only music, videos or photos stored in device sharing folders. No broadcast of TV programs from a computer here and speeches.
It is much more convenient to establish a more serious package like Plex Media Server, which has such an impressive list of features that few programs can be compared with it. In addition, the Software itself is issued in Russian and is distributed completely free.
As for mobile systems, such as Android, for such devices it is appropriate to use a small applet called Mediahouse or Bubble Upnp. Both applications can be easily found in the Play Market service and install absolutely free on your device. The advantage of such programs is that when installing the corresponding computer client, the DLNA configuration is not required here at all. It is enough so that the smartphone, tablet and computer (laptop) is connected to one private virtual network. After starting the application from a computer terminal, a list of all available devices will be automatically displayed. For loyalty in the computer version, you can "expand" the desired folders (create sharing). Only and everything.
Setting up UPNP MIKROTIK, automatic ports
The instructions will address the UPNP setting in Mikrotik, and the Dahua video recorder will be connected as a visual example. An infrastructure is formed at the output, in which there is no need to make ports to view the video surveillance, UPNP fully automates this process.
Mikrotik Routeros supports the Universal Plug and Play architecture for a transparent peer-free network connection of personal computers and intelligent devices or devices connected to the network.
UPNP provides data exchange between any two devices running any control device on the network. Universal Plug and Play completely independent of any physical media. It supports working on a network with automatic detection without any initial setup, as a result of which the device can dynamically join the network. DHCP and DNS servers are not mandatory and will be used if they are available on the network. UPnp implements a simple but powerful NAT bypassing solution that allows the client to get full support for a two-way peer-to-peer network for NAT-Ohm.
For UPNP there are two types of interface: Internal (the one to which local clients are connected) and external (the one to which Internet is connected). The router can have only one external interface with a "publicly accessible" IP address and so much internal interfaces as needed, all with "internal" IP addresses with NAT.
UPNP is used for many modern applications, such as most DirectX games, as well as for various Windows Messenger features (remote support, application sharing, file transfer, voice, video) due to firewall.
How to configure upnp in mikrotik
In order for the Mikrotik router to start interacting with other devices via the UPNP protocol, you need:
- Activate UPNP use;
- Define Local (Internal) and External (External) Interfaces.
Description of UPNP parameters
Enabled. - activates the UPNP service;
ALLOW-DISABLE EXTERNAL-INTERFACE - Whether to allow users to disable the external interface of the MIKROTIK router. This feature has been added to a separate parameter and adjusts compatibility mode for those networks where UPNP is undesirable or its work is not provided;
show-dummy-rule - activation bypass path for some non-working implementations that incorrectly handle the absence of UPNP rules (for example, error messages appear). This option instructs the server to install a fictitious (meaningless) UPNP rule, which customers may observe, which otherwise refuse to work correctly.
Setup is IP → UPNP
Setup is IP → UPNP → Interfaces
/ ip updsset enabled = yes / ip upnp interfacesadd interface = bridge-lan type = interfactor interface = Ether1 Type = External
Upnp Mikrotik setting example in Dahua video recorder
On any device supporting UPNP technology, it suffices to enable this mode. All rules from the router Mikrotik will be created automatically
Setup is IP → Firewall → Nat
Support the author of the article, make a click on advertising ↓↓↓
Have questions or suggestions for setting up UPNP in Mikrotik? Actively offer your option setting! →
Enabling UPNP in Windows XP
To UPNP work in Windows XP, you must first make sure that the device " Internet gateway » Displayed to "Network Connections", and the router - in My Network Objects.
For the first device, open the Network Connections window. You can do this by choosing "Start"> "Run", enter NCPA.cpl In the text field and press the ENTER key. Check if the device is displayed Online gateway As shown below.
For the second device, click the link " My network objects " in the window " Network connections" (Left panel, section " Other places "). Check if your router is displayed.
If these devices are not displayed, you must ensure that the correct components are installed in Windows XP. To check it out, select "Start", "Run", enter appwiz.cpl In the text field and press the Enter key.
In the Installation and Delete Programs window, click the link " Installing and removing Windows components » On the left pane. In the Windows component wizard window, scroll down until you find Network services . Select this in the list and click Details . Make sure the parameters Client detection and control of the device of the Internet gateway и Upnp user interface Marked, and click OK. Returning to the Windows component wizard window, click the Next button and follow the installation instructions for new components.
Now you can run the UPNP service to turn it on. To do this, go to Start, execute, enter Services.msc. In the text field and press the ENTER key.
Find option SSDP detection services And double-click it. In the window that opens, on the General tab, select Automatically in the drop-down list Type of launch and click OK .
UPNP will now automatically start when the computer is turned on.
Tip: If you have any problems with the correct work of UPNP on your network after executing the actions described below, check for updating the firmware for your router, which eliminates any UPNP problems.
UPNP How to Enable on Router: Activating Functions on Router
UPnp is used when you do not want to manually open the ports of various servers. This technology has advantages (high speed of information and simplicity in use) and disadvantages (safety problems). Therefore, to enable UPnP is thoughtful.
Turning on UPNP on the router
To enable UPnP you need to enter the web interface, and change the device configuration settings. It is very simple, with this will cope with any person who is versed in network equipment. We will give an example of such an operation using the TP-LINK router. On other devices, all actions will be practically identical.
We do the following:
- Open the browser and enter the device's IP address in the address bar. Most often it is written on the sticker, on the rear panel of the router. The standard IP address is considered to be 192.168.1. Press the ENTER button.
- We will highlight the authentication window. We are looking for fields for entering the username and password. This will open access to the web interface. In factory configurations, usually both login and password Admin (with a small letter both words). We recruit them and click
- We get to the start page of the router interface. You need to open the Advanced Settings tab. We are looking for the necessary parameters.
- On the left there will be a window used to set the settings. We need to choose the redirection of NAT. Go to this section to change the router configuration.
- Now it will fall out the submenu, where the name of the parameter we need (UPNP) will be written. Click the left mouse button on the name.
- Next to the UPNP graph will be a slider. We need to move it to the right, which will include the necessary function on the router. If necessary, you can disable the function in the same way (only now the slider will need to move to the left).
We connected UPNP on the router. But this is not enough, since the function also needs to be engaged on the computer. The latter must be connected to the local network. We will consider an example of the UPNP activation on Windows 8. On other programs of the same system, steps will be the same, there are practically no differences. We do the following:
- Press the right mouse button on the Start button. The menu will open where you want to select the control panel. Open it.
- Now open the section Network and the Internet. It is there that you can find the necessary settings.
- In the window that opens, click on the Network Management Center section.
- A new window opens. In the left part you need to find the line to change the additional shared options. Click on it.
- In this window, you will need to put ticks next to the network detection and automatic configuration on network devices.
- Now click Save Changes.
- We make a reboot of the computer.
- Can be used
Possible problems when inclusion
Typically, problems relate to breakage of one of the devices. Access to the Internet is also required, because without it the network does not work. Another important parameter is the weather. Usually with strong wind, rain and thunder network may not work. Just wait until the weather gets better.
Activating UPNP functions on the router
The UPNP protocol is supported by most proposals. The configuration is performed directly in the program. We do the following:
- Enabled. This basic setting includes UPNP.
- ALLOW-DISABLE-EXTERNAL-INTERFACE. This option can be disabled. It will redo the user permission to use the external interface of the router.
- Show-dummy-rule. The option allows you to search for coaching paths for several functions, for example, they work with errors. Thanks to this function, the server can send the necessary signals to software clients issuing an error.
- I shows the name of the interface, where the process is currently activated.
- T Specifies the type of interface used. The global IP address is assigned. An impregnable - router interface so that customers can connect to it.
- Forced-external-ip. Indicates which public IP address is included when there is access to several addresses at the same time on the external interface.
Enable UPnP is very simple. Enough to make a few steps. Even a child will cope with it.
Flash UPNP Attack
UPNP does not require any authentication from the user. Any application running on your computer may ask the router to redirect the port via UPNP, so the malware described above may abuse UPNP. You may assume that you are safe if the malicious software is not launched on local devices, but you are probably mistaken.
Flash UPNP attack was discovered in 2008. Specially created Flash applet running on a web page in your web browser can send a UPNP request to your router and request port forwarding. For example, the applet may ask the router to redirect the ports of 1-65535 to your computer, effectively opening it with the Internet. After that, an attacker will have to use the network service vulnerability running on your computer - the use of firewall on your computer will protect you.
Unfortunately, it worsens - on some routers of the Flash applet can replace the main DNS server using the UPNP request. Forwarding ports will be the smallest number of your concerns - a malicious DNS server can redirect traffic to other sites. For example, it can specify Facebook.com to another IP address of the whole - Facebook.com will be specified in your web browser's address bar, but you will use the website created by a malicious organization.
This is problem? Yes. I can't find any signs that it has ever been fixed. Even if this is fixed (it will be difficult, as this is the problem of the UPNP protocol itself), many old routers that are still used will be vulnerable.
When using the router, users sometimes occur with access to torrent files, online games, ICQ and other popular resources. Solve this problem can use UPNP (Universal Plug and Play) - special service for direct and quick search, connect and automatically adjust all devices on the local network. In fact, this service is an alternative to the manual port of ports on the router. You just need to enable the UPNP function on the router and on the computer. How to do it?
Turn on UPnP on the router
If you do not have a desire to manually open ports for different services on your router, you can try in the UPNP case. This technology has both advantages (ease of use, high data exchange rate) and disadvantages (security spaces). Therefore, approach the inclusion of UPNP is thoughtfully and consciously.
Turning on UPNP on the router
In order to use the UPNP function on its router, you must enter the web interface and make changes to the router configuration. This is easy and quite forces to any owner of network equipment. As an example, consider such an operation on the TP-LINK router. On routers of other brands, the actions algorithm will look like.
- In any Internet browser, we enter the IP address of the router in the address bar. It is usually indicated on the label from the back of the device. The default addresses most often apply.
192.168.1.1, then press the key ENTER .
- In the authentication window, type the current username and password for the web interface in the appropriate fields. In the factory configuration, these values are the same:
Admin.. Then click on the button Ok .
- Once on the main page of the web interface of your router, first move to the tab "Additional settings" where we will definitely find the parameters we need.
- In the advanced router settings, looking for a section "Forwarding NAT" And go to it to make changes to the router configuration.
- In the submenu, we observe the name of the parameter you need. Click on the left mouse button on the line "UPNP" .
- Move the slider in the column "UPNP" Right and turn on this function on the router. Ready! If necessary, at any time, you can move the slider to the left to disable the UPNP function on your router.
Enabling UPNP on a computer
We dealt with the router configuration and now you need to use the UPNP service on a PC connected to the local network. For a visual example, take PCs with Windows 8 on board. In other versions of the most common operating system, our manipulations will be similar to minor differences.
- Right click on the button "Start" And in the context menu that appears, select the column "Control Panel" where we move.
- Next, go to the block "Network and Internet" where the settings are interested in.
- On the page "Network and Internet" Click Lkm by section "Network and Common Access Control Center" .
- In the next window, click on the line "Change additional shared options" . We almost got to the goal.
- In the properties of the current profile, turn on network detection and automatic configuration on network devices. To do this, put the ticks in the corresponding fields. Click on the icon "Save Changes" , Reboot the computer and use UPNP technology to the full.
In conclusion, pay attention to one important detail. In some programs, such as UTorrent, you will also need to configure UPNP. But the results obtained can completely justify your efforts. So dare! Good luck!
READ ALSO: Opening ports on the TP-LINK routerWe are glad that you could help you solve the problem.
Describe what you did not work. Our specialists will try to answer as quickly as possible.